You’re already sure you’re installing a deck, but are still wondering which specific material to use. Timber floor decking is known for its beauty and durability. But you’ll want to ensure that both the material and installation method will stand the test of time.
Among the primary concerns with timber is that it can develop cracks and stains over time. One solution you may want to consider is using an advanced timber decking material. Here are more tips to take note of.
- Think about the location of your timber deck. Where do you plan to install your timber decking? Are you using it by the poolside or somewhere with high foot traffic? An outdoor timber decking in Singapore will most likely be exposed to the heat of the sun and regular downpour. You need to consider these elements and see whether the timber material will be able to hold up. If not, chances are the colour of the decking will fade sooner, and discolorations may be visible throughout.
- Consider maintenance. Your expense doesn’t end after the decking has been installed. For one, you still need to think about maintenance costs. With that said, choose low-maintenance timber decking products. You want your new outdoor flooring to remain vibrant even after many years, without spending so much time on upkeep. Look for a material that doesn’t need repainting or re-varnishing. See as well if it’s waterproof so permanent stains won’t form even if it gets exposed to spills or rainwater.
- Look into safety. Whether you’re using the timber floor decking for a commercial or residential property, you’ll want to include safety in your checklist. As much as possible, the flooring should be slip-resistant and friendly to all occupants, including elders and children. Also, another common concern with wood flooring is the presence of screws or nail heads. Check if the service provider has alternatives to make the surface safer and more comfortable to touch.
- Ask about degradation resistance. Wood can attract insects, such as termites. You don’t want to deal with these issues as you go along. So be sure to ask the manufacturer if their timber decking products are safe from wood-borers, mold and mildew, and fungal decay. Inquire, too, how well the flooring will respond to potential cracking and splits.
- Choose a durable underlying structure. The timber decking material isn’t the only important thing. You also need to look into the underlying support structure. If the structure beneath the flooring gives way, the flooring itself will also not last a long time. Be sure that the installation methodology allows the entire decking system to perform well even with heavy use.
- Know more about their workers. Quality workmanship is crucial to ensure that the timber decking is properly installed. Work with an installer that’s committed to maintaining and exceeding customer satisfaction. Check if their workers are constantly educated and evaluated to improve output quality.
Outdoor conditions can affect your timber floor decking. See to it that the decking system is designed with this in mind. For your peace of mind, partner with a manufacturer that offers a comprehensive warranty. And of course, choose a reputable timber decking brand in Singapore that has been around for many years now.